Brexit on condition
Separation on condition
One of the founding ideas behind TRIZ is to solve problems without compromise and deliver all the benefits while minimising any harms.
We recently heard the story of a major soft drink company surveying its customers on the level of sugar they preferred in their fizzy drink. The results were in, they averaged the preferences and trialled a new half-sugar product which no-one liked. If they had plotted the data on a simple graph they would have seen two distinct preferences.
The solution (excuse the pun) was to sell two very different products, high sugar and low sugar, which we see on the shelves today.
TRIZ calls this âseparating on conditionâ and it is a pattern regularly seen in innovative patents.
BREXIT is an almost identical problem conceptually. The preferences of the public are remain and leave but the averaged solution currently being debated in parliament is a compromise that meets neither side.
So how do we separate on condition and solve both groups?
Before I take the unusual step of telling you what I think might work I will give you a few TRIZ triggers.
Separating on conditionâWhen we canât separate in time or space then we need to see how we can separate on condition when we need to separate opposite solutions in the same place and at the same time. One solution for one element; the opposite for anotherâ. (Karen Gadd â TRIZ for engineers)
Separate on condition: these are the suggested inventive principles which most often resolve problems of this type [my initial thoughts in brackets]
28. Replace mechanical system [eg. a switchable virtual system like energy provision]
29. Pneumatics and hydraulics [eg. nothing springs out for me here]
31. Porous materials [eg. existing channels at ports and airports ]
32. Colour changes [eg. blue passport UK, red for EU]
35. Parameter change [eg. Tax, EU contribution, subsidy, welfare parameters on personal record]
36. Phase transition [eg. individuals able to move at any time from remain to leave and visa versa]
Our passport/nationality systems can already separate individuals on condition in the UK. Our tax and welfare system similarly.
Therefore allow leavers to leave and remainers to stay. The EU is only an abstract concept anyway when it comes to individuals.
This is another key concept in TRIZ â looking at the problem at different scales eg Country, organisation, individual.
Remainers would still contribute to EU funds and receive travel benefits and subsidies etc. Leavers would pay nothing and be free to negotiate terms with other virtual bodies.
The benefits of this switch from UK membership to individual personal membership of the EU could be huge:
The country would no longer be divided, we could live in harmony as we do with supporters of Everton and Liverpool living in the same house. The young generation could decide their future for themselves.
There would be no need for a big break. away at the end of March. Once the âEU deduction from incomeâ system is applied we would individually be either in or out. Switching between providers would be as simple as moving to British Gas.
You might have to pay a transition fee to cover administration costs.
An additional benefit would be that each side would strive to deliver and demonstrate their benefits to attract more followers and the overall UK economy would improve as a result.
A CEO could decide whether a company is in or out so Wetherspoons could leave and a local micro-pub remain and the taxes, subsidies could be different.
Membership of the EU is very different for individuals. For some it is critically important for others trivial and burdensome. We should deal with it differently from âall in or all outâ. We donât do this for religion, diet, politics, music, hair length, employment etc
I wonât solve every separate issue because the solutions should be contextual to, and therefore owned by, those solving the problem. I will however offer my services to facilitate any group or groups (are you reading this Mrs May?) through a TRIZ BREXIT workshop and show them how to resolve all the contradictions and deliver all the benefits with none of the harms.
For more on TRIZ and our training and problem solving workshops, visit Learn TRIZ with Oxford Creativity.
Ron has a broad computer science background and a Combined Science degree in Ecology and Geology. Initially working as a systems analyst for Customs and Excise, he later joined English Nature to develop and implement Information and Knowledge Strategies leading him to develop his own unique approach which he termed 'Knowledge Ecology'.
Experienced in structured systems analysis, process modelling and business process re-engineering, Ron is now a self employed consultant and an accredited Cognitive Edge practitioner. He specialises in narrative/complexity based methods, appreciative inquiry and open space technology.
An accomplished conference speaker especially in knowledge management and storytelling, Ron enjoys working as a coach, facilitator or trainer in the preferred fields of knowledge sharing, change management, team building and of course problem solving using TRIZ.
- Triz Blog
- Brexit on condition
- A symbiotic relationship between TRIZ and Cynefin
- Storytelling Masterclass in Oxford
- Why our food is making us fat
- Beyond Brainstorming: Encouraging Team Innovation
- The future of the umbrella
- The Importance of Creative Reflexes for Everyday Innovation
- The Nanny McPhee School of Facilitation
- Why bother with Intellectual Property?
- Learning from my customers: Innovating TRIZ & the 40 Principles
- How many systematic innovators does it take to make a great party?
- Teaching the world to think like an engineer
- Brexit, TRIZ and the Referendum: Can We Solve the Contradiction of Leaving and Not Leaving?
- How TRIZ can help Junior Doctors
- TRIZ for Everyone - Beyond Engineering: TRIZ Journal
- Oxford TRIZ â Simple & Systematic for Innovation & Problem Solving
- Ideas and Concepts: Creative Teamwork for Great Cartoons
- Writing TRIZ for Dummies
- What do Altshuller & Mozart have in common?
- Being there and not being there
- How Innovation is Like Foraging for Blackberries!
- Acoustical Properties of Facilitation
- Mobile Trends
- Formula 1 technology monitors children in hospital
- The Inventive Gondola
- Never be stumped for resources
- Inventive Principles and the Olympic Cauldron
- Intelâs New âIvy Bridgeâ Computer Chips
- Which Apple product is best? Let the market decide
- The invisible bike helmet
- The evolutionary trends of Pinterest
- Fight Fixed Thinking
- Intuition, Creativity and TRIZ
- TRIZ and Cynefin Framework
- Hello ... TRIZniks, welcome to TRIZworld!